Saturday, December 1, 2012

Meatball Madness

So I stayed up all night last night doing crafts and the time flew past me I did not get a chance to blog.  I will have to make up for that one tomorrow with my Butterfinger protein shake.  Today was such a fantastic day hanging out with the two coolest kids in the world, my niece and nephew.  Tonight we had another taste testing party,  the dish.... MEATBALLS!!!  Sunday I went to the grocery store and most of the meats where 75% off.  They were on their last day,  but as long as you look to see it is not a meat that is previously frozen you can easily come home and freeze for future meals.  I decided to use up what was left of my package of tofu that really lasted a long time this week and some of my ground turkey frozen from Sunday's shopping trip.  The result was 3 flavors of meat/less balls in tofu and in meat varieties.  For the most part you can throw whatever  you want together,  I literally cleaned out my fridge, cut up remaining carrots, onion, bell pepper and added to all of the base recipes.  For all meatballs standard recipe applies,  mix ingredients together with an egg beaten,  add enough breadcrumbs to have the mixture stick together in the form of a ball.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes in a sauce or fry in oil. Then added flavoring for each ethnicity (standard spices) to make the flavor.  The majority vote was for Asian meatballs.  Here is a summary of what I did.



Asian Meat/less balls
Add to the mixture, ginger, roasted pepper (optional), curry, turmeric, teryaki sauce
Cook this mixture in a teriyaki marinade

Mexican Meat/less balls
Add to this mixture, cumin, taco seasoning, cayenne pepper, lime juice
bake in enchilada sauce and top with cheese

Italian Meat/less balls
Add to this mixture fresh basil, parsley, oregano, and mozzerella cheese.  Dried herbs will work but are not as flavorful.  Cook this mixture in marinara sauce and top with mild cheese (optional) Tofu does really well on the Italian flavoring. 


It was fun tasting each and trying to figure out which had meat and which did not  Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment