Monday, December 10, 2012

Roasted Asian Spinach and Cheddar Mash Potatoes

Creative Girl here.  Took a bit of a break. I was cooking so much that I had too much food and had to eat leftovers so did not cook.  I also went out of town and returned with some of the best and freshest organic veggies from the Sarasota local farmer's market.  I think buy local counts even if it isn't your community.  ;)  While at Trader Joe's last trip I found this awesome recipe with roasted Brussels sprouts and mashed potatoes.  I could not find frozen Brussels sprouts so when I bought this Asian spinach I thought what a perfect substitution.  Speaking of which, I tried this recipe with soy as well.  The flavor is pretty strong but a good source of protein to fill  you up if you are looking to loose weight.

Roasted Asian Spinach and Cheddar Mash Potatoes




Ingredients

Mashed Potatoes

2 medium size potatoes cut up
1 tbl. butter
1/4 c. shredded cheese
1 tbl. milk
1/4 tsp. fresh thyme
1/4 tsp fresh chives
salt and pepper to taste

Roasted Asian Spinach

1 tbl. butter
1 strip bacon (optional)
1 clove garlic chopped
1 tbl. onion chopped
1 tbl Worcestershire
1 tbl. soy sauce
1/2 c. boiled potato water

Begin with boiling potatoes in water.  Cook until soft.  Melt butter and bacon in pan add salt pepper to taste, garlic, onion, and spinach.  Cook until limp.  When potatoes are done add potato water and reduce.  Simmer until cooked down. Meanwhile,  drain water from potatoes and add all ingredients.   If desired, add 1/2 cup of silken tofu to potatoes prior to mashing. Mash.  Plate spinach with mash potatoes on top.  Garnish with julienne carrots. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment